2019 Red Barns Spectacular
August 2 - August 4
Red Barns Spectacular on August 3, 2019 at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corner, Michigan.
TCT at Red Barns! Howdy! I’ve had a few people ask, privately and by message, about the “Red Barns Spectacular” show coming up this weekend at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI. Let me take a minute to explain what this is, and what it ISN’T, so there’s no confusion:
- This is NOT a TCT event. This is a car show, hosted by the Gilmore Car Museum, and put on by the KAARC (Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club). It’s a CAR SHOW. You are welcome, and encouraged, to come and show off your rig, but it’s NOT a camping event.
- There will be a separate (mostly) area for campers, not just TCT members, to display. You’ll be expected to participate in an open house, and to show off your trailer or RV, so be prepared for LOTS of visitors. This is a BIG show. People are generally polite and respectful, but…
- There is essentially NO electricity. So, be prepared, if you’e coming for the weekend to DRY CAMP. NO water, NO sewer, NO public restrooms over-night, and NO showers. This is a museum grounds, there is camping allowed, but it’s not primarily a campground. There will be “Port-O-Jons” on site, so enjoy those, briefly…
- If you do want to camp, the museum requires, by state law, that you register at the museum desk and PAY for camping. In the past, they have waived the fee the night before the show, but if you stay Saturday night into Sunday, you have to pay for that night. Cost is $30, and you MUST register during museum business hours.
- NO VEHICLES NEWER THAN 25 YEARS ON SHOW GROUNDS. Vehicles, cars, trucks, campers, boats, whatever, must be 25 years old or older. This means, if you have a 2000 Airstream, you CAN NOT have it the show grounds, and CAN NOT register for the show. This is museum policy, and KAARC’s. If you come for the event with a newer rig to visit or attend the show, you MUST move it from the show grounds EARLY Saturday morning and park wherever the museum designates parking for RV’s during this event. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you have a vintage camper and new F150 , RAM, or Silverado, be polite and MOVE YOUR TOW VEHICLE to spectator parking. The area in back of the spot we occupy is swap meet and show grounds, so don’t expect to leave your car or truck in those areas.
- NO GROUND FIRES. It’s dry. It’s August. The museum has acres of dead, parched lawn, and millions of dollars of restored cars and buildings. Don’t have a campfire. Don’t be that guy.
- There are trophy’s awarded, so if you want to part of the show, PLEASE register your rig with the KAARC people the morning of the show. It has been $25, I honestly don’t know if that’s the cost this year, I am NOT associated with the club, nor the museum. If you want to show, pay your dough. They work hard, they use the entry money for various charities, so please register, and display your entry number in the front window of your rig so spectators can recognize and reward you. (It would help greatly if, during the show, you turn your campground number card over so people don’t confuse them.)
- Clean up your site when you leave. There are numerous trash bins around the grounds for the event, please use them, and police your spot before you go. Represent.
- Again, this is a non-TCT event. We are invited to participate, show off and enjoy the museum and grounds for the weekend. The opportunity to stay on the grounds is a privilege and pleasure, so come, enjoy, just be respectful and appreciative of the opportunity.