TCT Rallies | Mid-States Region | Southeast Region | Northeast Region | Southwest Region | Northwest Region | Oh Canada
Florida Centennial Caravan
November 8 - November 16
October – 2019 – For Immediate Release:
Tin Can Tourists Celebrate 100th Anniversary!
Celebrating its return to Sarasota
The TIN CAN TOURISTS (TCT), America’s oldest trailer and motor coach club, is celebrating its 100th Anniversary with events and rallies scheduled throughout the United States in Florida and Michigan as well as official events hosted by TCT state representatives. This historic club, once the domain of travelers in the early 1920s who drove Model T Fords and tented along the sides of America’s two-lane
roads, represents the very beginnings of our nation’s $13-billion-dollar recreational vehicle industry.
To celebrate its 100th Year, the TCT will hold rallies, caravans, and special events across America in many places where the Club’s members historically traveled, always following the guiding principles of clean camps, friendliness, decent behavior, and enjoying plenty of wholesome entertainment. The group, originally known for the distinctive TCT logo, has grown throughout the past century and now
boasts over 2,500 club members and over 40,000 Facebook followers.
A Centennial Celebration Caravan has been organized to visit cities that were a part of TCT history in Florida. TCT held Winter Conventions in Arcadia from 1924 to 1932, in Sarasota from 1933 to 1938. An Open House will be held at the Sarasota Fairground on Friday November 15th from 11am to 3pm
Admission/Donation for the tour of the vintage campers is $2.00 per person.
“Our tour of these classic campers is a reminder of a simpler time and place, says Forrest Bone, the Club’s Royal Chief. “Our members are eager to display their own personal campers and motor coaches, ranging in age from the 1940s to the 1980s. Each one is a beautiful example of America’s love affair with the emerging concept of leisure time, family vacations, and freedom on the open road.”
“Our members also enjoy showing off their collections of vintage tow vehicles, luggage, camping items, tools, and appliances,” said TCT member Alex Alexander from DeFuniak Springs, Florida. “Whether you’re looking to enjoy classic camping in a smaller more efficient space, or just want to bask in the nostalgic glow of past family vacations, you will enjoy this event.”
Approximately 20 vintage trailers and coaches ranging in age from the 1940s to the 1980’s can be toured during these one-day events. It’s well worth the drive to see these original tiny homes and meet the people who have lovingly restored them to their former glory. But be forewarned, you may leave this event with a firm urge to start searching for your own stylish vintage camper!
The Tin Can Tourists Open House is open to the public at the Turner Center on Saturday, November 9th from 11 am to 3 pm and at the Sarasota Fairgrounds on Friday, November 15 th from 11am to 3 pm There an admission/donation of $2.00 that will be collected per person for the tour.
Contact: Forrest Bone, TCT Royal Chief
Centennial Celebration Caravan – Florida
- Turner Agri-Civic Center
2250 NE Roan Street
Arcadia, Florida 34266
- Friday, November 8, 2019 – Friday Arrival at the Turner Agri/Civic Center – Full Hookup Sites – 4 O’clock Meet and Greet Dinner on your own
- Saturday, November 9, 2019, – Open House with parking donation of $2.00 per person – Catered meal following the Open House 5 pm. Hunt’s presentation on the History of the Tin Can Tourists in the evening at 7 pm. – public will be invited.
- Sunday, November 10, 2019 – Morning Coffee & Potluck Breakfast 9am – Stove is available – Visit Arcadia for a great Antiquing experience – 4 O’clock social hour
- Monday, November 11, 2019 – Morning Coffee – Continuation of our stay at Arcadia – 4 O’clock social hour & finger food potluck
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019 – Depart for Sarasota Fairgrounds – 4 O’clock social hour – Dinner on your own
- Sarasota Fairground & Robards Arena
3000 Ringling Blvd. Sarasota, FL 34237
- Wednesday, November 13, 2019 – Visit Sarasota: Tour Opportunities: Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium, Selby Gardens, and Ringling Museum 4 pm Social Hour
- Thursday, November 14, 2019 – Morning Coffee – Visit & Tour Braden Castle Park founded by TCT in 1924 – 4 O’clock social hour followed by a catered dinner
- Friday, November 15, 2019 – Catered Breakfast and Open House, 4 O’clock social hour & Finger Food Potluck.
- Saturday, November 16, 2019 – Stay or Go, an extended stay option is available if you wish to enjoy the Sarasota Medieval Festival on the Fairgrounds at an additional site fee and ticket if you choose to stay.