The New Member Orientation or New Member Induction is typically done the first night of a rally and is a fun event to do at the social gathering. It gets the first time TCTers introduced to the club while getting everyone into the rally spirit. I like the way Karen Campbell described it, “makes that feeling of unity and togetherness”.
- Royal Sergeant announcement. Designate a Royal Sergeant to work with.
- The rally hosts is (designated as Royal Chief for this purpose) starts with “Royal Sergeant, are you satisfied that only those person, candidates for membership or members of the TCT who are entitled to be present are within the Tent (or wherever you are holding session).”
- The Royal Sergeant responds, “Royal Chief, I am satisfied that only those persons, candidates for membership or members of the TCT who are entitled to be present are within the Tent”
- Have the new members stand, so everyone can see how many new folks are attending a TCT rally for the first time. It usually is more than anyone expected. This helps people recognize those that are there for the first time and they can reach out to them and welcome them throughout the rally.
- Demonstrate a few of the TCT traditions:
- secret sign
- secret handshake
- secret password
- TCT motto
- TCT song – For the song, we have the members sing it once, then the new members and then everyone together.
- The obligation of members of the Tin Can Tourists is as follows:
- Royal Chief says: “I promise on my word of honor to obey all camp rules and to disclose none of the Tin Can Tourists secrets to those not qualified to receive the same”
- Royal Chief then says “I will at all times conduct myself in a manner creditable to the Tin Can Tourists. If you accept this obligations, indicated by saying I DO!”
- New members respond with “I DO”
- Royal Chief finishes with “By the authority vested in me, I now declare that the candidates in this class have satisfied all requirements of membership in the Tin Can Tourists and are entitled to all rights and privileges of membership”
- Provide the new members with their membership pins (little TCT diamond) if you have them or take a new members group photo and then have everyone greet them (cheer/clap or start the social hour by having members meet the first timers).
New Member Orientation Demonstration
Here are some instructions on the traditions
“C” made with thumb and forefinger
It is Tin Can backwards – “Nit Nac”
“Do unto others as you would that they should do unto you.
The official theme song of the T.C.T. “The More We Get Together” –
The more we get together, Together, together, The more we get together, The happier we'll be. ‘Cause your friends are my friends, And my friends are your friends. The more we get together, The happier we'll be. Oh, the more we get together, Together, together, The more we get together, The happier we'll be.