Mr. T. D. Thomas built the first lighthouse trailer in 1937 and did it all in his backyard. It didn’t take long for them to be manufacturing 1000s of trailers a year. By the end of WWII, they were producing over 5000 a year and it was largely to the military (Army and Navy). They made a variety of styles and shapes but are most famous for the Light house Duplex which was a double decker design that reached 11.5 feet high and had two upstairs bedrooms. Each bedroom was equipped with a double bed, light and window.